'”

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hosta Wrangling

Remember This?

Well, I moved the hosta plant next to the shed.  Here's how I did it:
First, I dug a hole in the place that I planned to move it.


Next, I dug all around and loosened the roots and dirt from around the hosta.


As I began lifting it, it started to break off into several pieces.  That's ok as I would just plant them both together into the same hole.  If I wanted to, I could plant them seperately.  Seriously, there is no way to kill these things, which is nice if you don't really have a green thumb.  I have quite a few of these giant hostats in my yard, and they all came from one hosta that my mother gave me about 20 years ago. I split them numerous times over the years and planted them in various places all over my yard.  But let's get back to the task at hand.  Check out the large root that the hosta had been growing around!

Next I put it into my garden cart.  I got this at Home Depot a couple weekends ago and it's been a life saver!  I used to carry the darn hostas and they are heavy!!
Carted it over to my previously dug hole, and realized that the hole was not big enough, so I had to make it larger.  I love this skinny shovel - it's my favorite (as far as shovels go, anyway)


Set the hosta into the hole

and fill in with dirt.  Take any leftover dirt back to where you dug out the hosta - you'll need it.

Press around to tighten up the soil.  (I know these are not proper gardening footwear - don't judge)


And there you have it - my hosta has a new home, and I have it out of my garden. 
Coming soon - how I created my garden

No comments:

Post a Comment