'”

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fall Pumpkin Project

I chose 2 coordinating fabrics for this project. 
Cut 3 pieces from each of the fabrics (since it is folded, I cut 3 sets of each,
so I could make 2 pumpkins)


Cut 2 for the stem (this is of felt) 
Here are all the pieces needed for this project.  If you want me to email you the patterns
let me know in the comments

Start by sewing 1 of each of the different fabrics together along one edge.  All seams are 1/4 inch.

Add in each piece, alternating the fabrics.

Until you have all six pieces sewn together - then join the first piece and the last piece, being sure to leave an opening along the edge for stuffing.

What you have will look like a deflated beach ball!

Begin stuffing the pumpkin very tightly - it actually took 1/2 of a bag of stuffing!

Whip stitch the opening by hand with small stitches.

Sew the 2 pieces of the stem, leaving the bottom open.

Then carefully turn it right side out.

And stuff tightly

Sew the edge corners of the stem to the pumpkin with several stitches (yes, I know I need my nails filled...)

Almost done!
I thought it needed a little something else, so I tied 3 pieces of raffia around it - pulling it a little tight to give it some shape.  Of course, this should probably be done before sewing in the stem, and that's what I'll do when making any additional pumpkins.  The nice thing about them is that you can keep them out from September through November! Happy Fall!

2 comments: